Jeremy Renner

Jeremy Renner
Dance like no one is watching...

Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Is it just me...


I asked a question of several of my online friends today.  Only one responded.  No biggie, except that she doesn't seem to understand the question.

What I'm looking for is a way for my characters to describe their professions that makes them seems boring and innocuous.

Back in the day, I watched a series called Ironside.  In one episode, Ironside referred to his job as a police detective as "civic improvement."

Now the question...

Would "civic improvement" and "quality assurance" be apt, if very loose interpretations, of spies and assassins?

Example:

Natasha Romanoff is on an undercover mission.  She meets a man in a bar and they strike up a conversation.

Man: What do you do, Natasha?  What's your business?
NR: I'm in quality assurance.
Man: As in "this call may be recorded for quality assurance purposes"?
NR: *grin* Something like that.  All quite boring actually.  What do YOU do?
Man: Civic improvement.
NR: *wrinkles nose* Sounds boring as well.
Man: *shrugs* It can be.

What do you think?  Does that work for the situation?

ttfn,

Ry

No comments:

Post a Comment